Sunday, August 21, 2011

SPECIAL GUEST STORY----Johanna K. P.

I am super excited to present a Guest Story for the readers by Johanna K. P.
Johanna's writing is raw and personal and should be quite a treat for all that follow my stories.

She is super talented and I can't wait for her novel, THE MANICHEANS.

You can follow her work here:  http://themanicheans.blogspot.com/

Without further delay, our Guest Story.




You and I

I woke up from a dream, first looking to my left, and then to my right, just to make sure I was alright. It had been a long night of running away, not really knowing where I was going. My mind told me to just go, so I went, and I left you behind with all the others. I am so sorry, my love.

After days of waiting, the plague finally hit our little town. I was lucky to be alive. I… saw things I wasn’t supposed to witness. It happened all so fast, my love. All too fast.

I loved you with all my heart and soul. I’ll never forgive myself for what I’ve done, but there was no other way, and you knew this was my only chance at survival. I really had no choice.

I know you understand. I fear it’s too late now anyway. They said that all the victims died within three weeks of inoculation. I couldn’t wait for you to perish in my arms, and then what? Where to next? I hate feeling like this, so torn and tormented; it’s driving me crazy…

I didn’t think I’d write about this, after all these years spent working on my novel for nothing. Now am I really the prophet everybody’s looking for? I had the possibility to tell them the truth, but nobody listened. I found this empty journal on the side of the road…

I miss you so much. You and I, we were the best of friends in the whole wide world. I loved hearing your laugh, because it uplifted me from all the sorrow I had to cope with every day. You’ll go to heaven, if there’s still one somewhere… That tragedy made me rethink the whole story about hell and stuff, you know what I’m talking about. I don’t think that fire is really that dreadful in the end. Seeing everybody you love die hurts much more than a little burn.

Oh honey, I wish you could see what I see. Our small world has really turned upside down. There’s nothing left of the sanity we all pretended to have. They became animals, hunting for human meat because all the livestock is dead. Everything turned to shit. I don’t even know why I’m still standing. I want to cry but I can’t. The river has been completely drained.

I’ve got to go, my love, the journey is not over for me yet. If I make it to the coast, I’ll maybe be able to publish something after all. I heard they were looking for authors to report about the pandemic. Deep down I pray for my words to finally see the light of day, so that I can leave in peace. You know how important writing is for me. I couldn’t live without it. It is the air I breathe and the water I drink. I write out of hope, out of love and out of luck, constantly carrying this pain around… I’ll write even in death, that’s how much I want it.

You and I, we knew what it felt like to put words on paper. You were my muse, my inspiration… you were my all. You gave me a strength that nobody understood. Every night I spent alone writing was worth it, and I don’t regret being the asocial bastard everybody told me I was. Screw them all, they’re all dead now anyway. I never wasted my life the way they did. They enjoyed simple pleasures while I sought deeper joys, and I found them all once I let my imagination take over. They were too self absorbed to understand the true beauty of this world… Every time I open my eyes I see things they were blind to.

Maybe this was supposed to be my time. God put me on this earth because he wanted me to accomplish something, and I believe that my purpose is to write, so I’ll keep going until my feet can’t walk anymore, and my head is too sick to think straight. Until that happens, I’ll follow my dream, because this is who I am. In a time where everything is gone, I finally know I was right all along.

You and I, my love, we fought like warriors and we didn’t lose. You’ll always be with me, because my words will keep you alive. There’s no boundary to our quest anymore, we’ll travel as far as my thoughts can go. My words will be your carriage to eternal life… and we’ll meet again in a place where these words have more meaning than love itself.

You and I, together forever, because I write. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Raw and brutal. I love the honest passion in this and think it could easily be a longer piece.

I'm amazed at how much is woven ad layered here even though it is short. This only gives us a clue to how the author could expand and enrich the story later on.

A talent to watch out for.

Jonathan D Allen said...

Agreed. I'd really like to see more of this world and what it's like to live in it from moment to moment.