Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Surviving #NaNoWriMo

Week two of the month long sprint that is #NanoWriMo brings new challenges. The biggest obstacles for most writers-- hitting the wall of inspiration, wondering 'where the hell AM I with this story?' and the nagging feeling you won't make it to 50k words by months end once you start falling behind the pace. 

I am behind on 'words' and have felt the creative parts of my mind nudging against the wall of writers block. The pressure to produce something, anything grows as I sit starting at the screen, waiting for the muse to arrive. 

To keep focus, I'm following the excellent Nano twitter handle NanoWordSprints, which gives motivation, ideas for writing sprints, as well as providing a community of writers there to cheer you on towards the finish line. 

The key is to push forward and not look in the rear view mirror. Revision comes later, after you have bleed the first draft onto the page. Run with the ball, don't walk. Pound the keys as if you know where the story is going, for your brain will find the thread of thought and take up the narrative. 

At this point, I'm not sure about much in my WIP-- LITTLE BLACK BOOK. It's about sex and violence and all else that happens in Sin City. I don't have time and will not stop to 'figure it out', for that is the fastest way to let the writer's block goblins steal your momentum.

So, writers--- it's clear. First drafts are for writing- not thinking, revising, editing, big picture clarifications. 

Pound the keyboard as if it's your last day on earth. 

With that, I return to the chase.

From Las Vegas, where everything that happens ends up in my book. 

Stephen Moran 

No comments: